Sunday, April 25, 2010

Taylor Sunshine's Birth Story

Mama & Dada in the birthing tub
Holding my Taylor Sunshine
Our girl!
Daddy cuts the umbilical cord
She is healthy and perfect
Miss Taylor Sunshine
Our Midwife Karen delivered Taylor

April 9th was the official due date of our baby girl. Each and every day after we waited anxiously to see when she would really make her debut. I began to get nervous as my induction date was set for 42 weeks and was approaching quickly. I started trying any and all suggestions from friends and family for natural induction methods...I tried different herbs, got a pedicure, had a prenatal massage, did acupuncture, planted an awesome garden for 5 hours, walked, did yoga, climbed stairs and hills, had a glass of wine, ate every type of spicy food I could think of, ate a whole pineapple...ya - NONE of it worked! On Tuesday, April 20th I had my last appointment with my Midwife and set up all the details of my induction. This put a little fright in me, since an induction was the exact opposite of what I wanted for this birth. So Wednesday morning rolled around and I decided I would give it a go and try Castor Oil...WOW! Awful ;D!!! My first dose was at 11am and I threw it all up so I got to try it all over again. I managed to get it down in an egg scramble, but it was awful. So my second dose I took at 3:30 with Root Beer and it was not too bad (I plugged my nose and chugged!) According to the internet I had a 57% chance of it working and if it did within 2-6 hours labor would begin...And YES, it worked :D.
At 8pm I was giving Connor a bath when I had my first contraction and Mike had to take over. For the next hour, Mike helped me with timing my contractions, calling Brit to come watch Connor, calling our parents to tell them the news and have them make their way to town...It was crazy how fast and hard these contractions came on. I knew after the first 10 minutes they were not going away. Within the first hour my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and intense. I labored in the shower for a bit, Mike packed the rest of our bag and we were on our way to the hospital. I was admitted at 11pm, 4cm dilated. I had a whole "Team Taylor" :D with me, Mike, our Midwife Karen, our doula Jillian, two nurses and Mike's parents. For the first hour I labored with smiles and talking in between each contraction. But things soon changed. Mike and I got into our swim suits and hopped in the birthing tub together as my contractions were getting more intense. The birthing tub was my favorite, I felt like I could just melt into Mike's arms or lap and be filled with more strength and courage for each contraction. I did get to a point of screaming and lots of moans and groans, asking for drugs ;D. However, within the same 10 minutes I was also asking to push. I had to hop out of the tub and climb into bed so they could check my cervix before I could push. Wow...8 cm! I asked to get back in the tub, but I was told she needed to check me during my next contraction...as she did she said I was 10cm and could push. I still wanted back in the tub and some drugs ;D. But it was too late for either. She said they can not administer drugs during transition and she was worried I would not make it back into the tub before our baby girl arrived. After 25 minutes of pushing, burning, screaming, holding amazing hands of comfort, and touching her head as I was pushing...I had birthed our baby girl, Taylor Sunshine Perry completely natural on April 22nd, 2010 at 2:11am. She was 7lbs 11oz and 20.8in long.
Each birth experience is special, changes a woman's heart forever as the birth of a child brings the greatest of love. Taylor's birth has changed my life forever. Not only because I have a beautiful daughter now, but because I learned more about what I am capable of as well as my body. The love and support from my wonderful husband could have been no greater, he was the greatest birthing coach a mama could have.

11 comments:

Hazelbug said...

You rock Ashley! Way to go!

The Jimenez Ohana said...

oh my gosh, i loved reading your story...you are amazing..(tears)..love ya :)

Lori

Unknown said...

Wow Ashley, amazing story! It brings back such great memories. Can't wait to see your whole family. Congratulations!!!!

Greg Fralick

The Izzard Family Blog said...

loved this story of taylor's beginning! i have tears! sounds incredible...and hey i'm glad the castor oil worked! lol!

Million Dollar Mamma said...

Ash- u are so sweet and I loved reading this. Tahnk you for sharing!

Cherise Beard said...

Ash - You are amazing!! Love the story. I have tears running down my cheek. What an amazing birth experience. Sending love from SB to you, Mike, Connor and Baby Taylor.

Donelle Anderson said...

Have to agree with everyone, my eyes are watery reading this post! Loved reading it and seeing how it all went down! Congrats on your adorable baby girl, I can't wait to meet her!
Love you guys!!
XOXO

sherbear said...

Congratulations! Loved meeting Taylor Sunshine!

Langleys Mom said...

Yay!! I knew you could do it! Thanks for sharing your sweet story! Taylor Sunshine is so beautiful! We have to stop by and say hello soon! xo

Jillian said...

Love, love, love this story. Thanks for sharing. You are incredible.

Mai said...

What a great story Ashley! I'm so happy for you as you welcome your sweet Taylor into your little family!